- 6 whole artichokes
- 3 slices Italian bread, cubed
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/8 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup grated romano cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 5 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- salt and pepper to taste
- Snip the pointed ends of artichoke leaves, and cut off the stems. Wash and drain. Hold each artichoke by the base, firmly stamp the top of it on a hard surface; this will open it so it can be stuffed more easily.
- In a medium bowl combine bread cubes, garlic, parsley, Romano cheese, oregano, 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, salt and pepper; mix well.
- Press about 1/2 cup of stuffing into each artichoke. Tightly pack stuffed artichokes together in a large heavy pan or dutch oven. Add enough water to reach half way up artichokes and 3 tablespoons oil.
- Bring to a boil over high heat; reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, for 1 hour, or until leaves pull out easily.