Dark Chocolate Smores Bars
SERVES: 16 portions
PREPARATION TIME: 10 minutes
SET TIME: 15 minutes
COOK TIME: 40 minutes
- 8 sheets graham crackers, finely ground, or 1 cup graham cracker crumbs
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 2/3 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
- 1 large egg, room temp
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- One 4.4-ounce bar dark chocolate, broken into pieces
- 1 cup marshmallow creme
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees . Line an 8-inch square baking dish with aluminum foil, leaving a 2-inch "handles" on the ends of the pan for lifting out the finished bars.
- Stir together the ground grahams, flour, sugar and salt in a small bowl.
Cream the butter, egg and vanilla in a medium bowl with an electric mixer on low speed until creamy.
Add the graham mixture and continue to beat on low speed until just combined and large crumbles form.
- Place about two-thirds of the mixture in the prepared pan and firmly press into pan. Save a few pieces of the chocolate for garnish, and then scatter the rest of the chocolate pieces over the base. Drop spoonfuls of the marshmallow creme over the chocolate, stretching the creme so it covers as much as possible. Drop the remaining crumble batter in small clumps over the chocolate and creme so the creme is mostly covered up.
- Bake until the dough is golden brown and the cookie in the center of the pan feels firm, about 40 minutes. The marshmallow creme will puff through the crumble and brown, and it will deflate as it cools. Cool in the pan 15 minutes or more.
- Using the foil overhang, lift the crumble bars out of the pan. Melt the reserved pieces of chocolate in the microwave in 30-second intervals until smooth, and then drizzle over the cookies. Cut into 2-by-2-inch squares.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.